Saturday, May 30, 2009

RIP Grandpa Rudy... Happy birthday



Today is the anniversary of my Grandfather's Birthday, Rudolph Hanz Steen.
He was my mothers father.
We lived with him in his home in the Albany Park neighborhood of Chicago during the end of his life.
Unfortunately, my bother and sisters and I didn't really get to know much about him 'til this time, i would like to share a few fun things that I did know.

Grandpa Rudy, as we called him LOVED the movie Das Boot- I must have watched parts of this movie like a million times.. My mom had to hide it at one point!

He was also a trained sharp shooter in the armed forces... watch out now

He was very proud of his German heritage.

He loved his Beer and Bullet Popsicles ( the red white and blue ones)

His favorite Breakfast was german potatoes sausage and eggs .. My mom loved making it for him!

He loved his dog Shannon.. I remember her from when I was a little girl :)That had to be his best friend he still talked about her 10 years after she passed

when We would sing happy birthday to someone he would always harmonize with us at the end :) now I do it when I sing happy birthday :)

There's a ton more.. But i'll leave it at that :)

Happy Birthday Grandpa Rudy PROST!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting how he was remembered by you. I sometimes wonder how we'll be remembered, if at all. As long as someone loves you I guess. And I'd love to go to Germany one day. Prost! :]

    ReplyDelete